Membership in the LVMPD Explorer program is open to young adults, male and female, age 16 through 20 years, 6 months, currently attending high school, graduated, or who have obtained a G.E.D. The following guidelines shall also be met before approval for membership is granted:
- Be a US citizen or US Permanent Resident Alien. Those falling under the status of DACA, commonly referred to as the "Dream Act" are ineligible.
- Be of good moral habits with no arrest or conviction records for serious offenses, or multiple minor offenses. Arrests, citations, drug use history and other issues that are recent also factor into the selection process.
- Submit to a thorough background investigation including a polygraph and drug screen.
- Have parental approval which includes signatures by the applicant and his/her parents or guardians on a general liability release form and a medical waiver form if the Explorer is a minor.
- Be of good mental and physical health.
- Have and maintain at minimum a 2.0 or C average in school.